Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday Treat: Go nuts for doughnuts!

Doughnuts. They're all we're eating these days. Going so fast they've been hard to get a picture of.
strawberry doughnuts
Doughnuts. The perfect snack for elevenses, to go with your afternoon coffee, when you've got the late-night munchies, and don't tell me you don't feel a slight twinge of jealousy when you see other people eating them for breakfast. But for breakfast, I need something filling and energy-giving, which conventional doughnuts are unfortunately not. We also avoid gluten and sugar as much as possible, which conventional doughnuts do not. What's a Tall Girl to do? Surf, my friends.

The recipe in the picture is Elise's strawberry cake recipe, which you can find here. I've been wanting to try it out for a while, but I don't usually have good luck with bundt pans. Then one night last week, as I was standing in the pantry, I caught sight of my under-used doughnut pan. Brain wave! They're very cakey and berry-y. If you want a glaze, Elise suggests glazing with coconut butter. These didn't last long enough, but I will be trying that with the next batch! I also think this recipe has doughnut potential...

I like using buckwheat flour, and this recipe has a few different almond-buckwheat flour ratio suggestions, as well as some variations for chocolate, vanilla or shortbread flavours. I like the chocolate, with the half and half buckwheat-almond flour blend...

Tall Guy's favourite is, surprise, surprise, chocolate-banana, and you can find that recipe here. I did a bit of adapting, but it was still pretty straightforward: Adios sugar, hola stevia (you could use xylitol or honey as well), and goodbye spelt, hello almond/buckwheat blend. I think dark chocolate and raspberry would also be nice. Next time.

Gluten and sugar free doughnuts? You're thinking, faux-nuts, right? Wrong! All of these recipes are nice and cakey and sweet and satisfying. And knowing there's a doughnut to be had for breakfast makes getting up early a little bit fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment