Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Point Blank

Does history repeat itself or do we learn from our mistakes? I want to believe we learn, but I'm not so sure.

A soldier was shot in the capital today. That's the second soldier killed on Canadian soil this week. My heart goes out to their families. Terrorism is active in Canada. And I'm feeling far, far from joyful.




My students don't know (we're in Spain and they're three), and tomorrow I'll show up with a smile on my face and a song on my lips, and I'll even mean it.


Terrorism in Canada, war in the Middle East, Ebola in Africa and even right here in Madrid, kind of makes you wonder, what's the point, doesn't it?


In spite of the violence, in spite of disease, in spite of all the terrible things that are happening, there are good people out there doing wonderful things, and they will keep on working until goodness rains down on the people of the world.


peace-love-hearts
For every Hitler, there's a Schindler.

For every Taliban gunman, there's a Malala.


For every attack on Canadian Parliament, there's a Sergeant Vickers.


These are people who are willing to lay down their lives in order to do the right thing. And there are hundreds of thousands of service men and women, security officials, and private citizens around the world who are equally dedicated to fostering peace on our Earth. Without them, where would we be?

And that's the point. That's why I keep doing what I do - why we all keep doing what we're doing. I'm certainly not a soldier; I'm not even an activist, but neither will I stand idly by, not if I can be or do a little bit of good in someone's life. Not while I believe peace is within our reach, if we could all just reach out our hands and hold on.



Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. Psalm 34:14

No comments:

Post a Comment